...who am I?

mom, photograph obsessed, DIY-er
who likes to elaborate on & search for
ways to make all three better and easier
...in style.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

How to: Hospital Bag ed.


Ahhh, the elusive hospital bag list. Honestly - I'm writing this more for myself than anyone else. I'm horrible at keeping track of things & figure, "hey, this will be here when the next baby comes." (Don't worry - we are a long ways away from that!)

I will start off by saying that my hospital was VERY cold. Of course, most of the time I was blazing with heat because:
1. I was pregnant.
& 2. I was experiencing the joy of after-birth hot flashes (no fun, no fun AT ALL).
Depending on your state of temperature, you may also want a robe. I didn't bring one, but even if I had, I would not have cared to wear it.

But nevertheless, I would suggest some blankets of your own. Especially if your husband or significant other plans to stay there with you. My hubby was freezing & the most he had was a measly sheet I'd managed to bring. I did remember pillows, though. & those are always a good thing to bring. Also, because it is so cold, chapstick & lotion are probably necessary means to an end. (especially during winter, at least where I live!)

I'm pretty embarrassed to say it took me most of the first day to get dressed. I think I got ready maybe five minutes before visitors started arriving. Eeek. But anyway - for that, I'd suggest stretchy, comfortable clothing. No one is looking at you anyway. ;) But if you're feeling extra ambitious, you can always bring your makeup with you. I brought mine, but I'm 100% sure I didn't use it. I just didn't feel it was necessary, but everyone is different.

Along those same lines, some people shower in the hospital & others don't. I didn't. Mostly because I showered about five hours prior to giving birth & it wasn't on the forefront of my mind seeing as we left only about 28 hours after. Still, some will. You'll need anything you use at home. I opted for trial sized soaps & shampoos, but whatever way you want to swing it is okay too.

Hospital food is not my favorite, but it is a necessary evil unless you want to pay a lot of money for fast food that's really not good for you or whoever is staying with you. Dan mostly ate out, but I did offer to give him some of my food (even though I'm pretty sure that's not allowed ;) ). Still, you'll need to fill in the cracks. You just had a baby after all. That takes a lot out of you. & you need to stay strong & hydrated. That being said, don't be a dummy like I was. BRING SNACKS. I should have had a whole separate bag just for those. ;)

Other than that, I didn't have a lot of things that I really felt like I had to have with me. Of course, I brought my computer & its charger.. Along with my phone & its charger. But, I didn't need much else. I slept a lot, ate a lot, & cuddled with my new baby. 

(If you plan to breastfeed, this section is for you.. if NOT, read to the overall list below! :) ) The boppy was my first lifesaver. Of course, when the babes are still so little, I'd advise putting other pillows with you as well until you get used to the different positions. & even though I didn't get dressed much of the first day - I DID put on a night nursing bra. It saved my life. I felt supported, but was able to pop those babies out whenever I needed them. Nursing tanks are nice for when you're feeling a little more ready to be clothed, which is what I wore when I got dressed. I also brought my lanolin, but I don't think I used it in those first few days. I should have, though. Maybe it would have helped prevent the aches I got later.

So, in a basic run-down, you'll need:
- chapstick
- a nightgown
- robe
- nursing tanks
- nursing bra
- boppy
- lanolin
- blanket
- loofah
- makeup
- glasses & case
- lotion
- snacks & drinks
- phone & charger
- computer & charger
- camera & batteries
- notebook/pen

baby:
- 2 blankets
- going home outfit (& socks)
- diaper bag
- carseat

hubby:
- clothes
- deodorant
- any other toiletries he may need
- slippers
- pj pants

Overall, your time in the hospital will be short. It will go by too quickly & you'll be left wondering "are we really getting sent home with this thing?" But seriously - enjoy having people around to help. & take lots of time staring at your precious new bundle.




4 comments:

  1. I remember having my bag packed, it was so nice to have my own nightgown and not having to wear the hospital gown :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those hospital gowns are horrible! Having something of your own to wear is definitely a great option to have :)

      Delete
  2. I definately brought my own gown with the second one!

    ReplyDelete