...who am I?

mom, photograph obsessed, DIY-er
who likes to elaborate on & search for
ways to make all three better and easier
...in style.

Monday, October 1, 2012

Adventures in Toddlerhood: Ed. 1

Whether or not we want to believe it,
we set examples everyday.
To our neighbors, other drivers, etc.
But ultimately, it is the next generation
that determines what our future holds.

Photobucket

I stumbled upon this little girls' picture when one of the mommas I'm friends with in a birth month group (June, when Elonah was born) posted it. She said that her daughter told her that her little brother needed fed, then proceeded to get out the parts to her pump & lift up her shirt.

It is honestly one of the most adorable things I've seen. It's also completely innocent. That little girl knows nothing else than that milk from her mommy is what her little brother eats. & she has no shame in the fact that it comes from parts of mommy that aren't always seen as feeding tools. & why should she? There's no shame in the fact that her mom is doing what she thinks is right for her family & her little boy.

Photobucket

This picture is also priceless. This came via another mom on my June board. While he is a boy & may not understand the concept quite yet, he knows no shame in what he's doing. Good. That's what I like to see.

Okay, so...maybe the example I set isn't for a kiddo as big as the one in the photos above. But, my goal to set a healthy example has already begun. For the hundreds of little people who have seen me breastfeeding in public, this will continue to become more normal.

The truth is, I don't care if you choose to breastfeed, co-sleep, cloth diaper...or baby-wear or any of the other many things I'm passionate about. It's not a matter of judgement. It's a matter of doing what works for you & realizing that your take on life will be passed down to your children. As a parent, one of the most amazing things I've already learned is that the examples we set, no matter how big or small...will develop our children into the type of people we either want or don't want them to be. & as the example-setters; it is up to us who that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment